Saturday, February 12, 2011

Double Stroller Recovery Project

Okay, I know it's been a LOOOOONG time since I last posted, but that's only because I've been so busy. I haven't been able to get the girls to take their naps together lately, so I'm always dealing with one or the other.  I have been able to be creative, but haven't had the chance to blog about it. Well, no more! Leslie is down for the night, and Janeia is too, or at least till Daddy gets home.  Then she'll probably wake back up to spend some more time with him.  But for now, it's just me and you. So what have I been up to, you ask? A lot, actually.

I have been needing desperately wanting a double stroller practically since I had Leslie, but they can be pretty pricey, so Janeia has been riding in the storage basket of our other strollers.  She's tiny, and she liked it, so I made it work.  But then I found this one on Craigslist for $30!
Kinda Really ugly, I know, but I had big plans for it. The frame is navy blue, and is in good shape.  The structural fabric is fine, too.  But the prints on the rest of it had to go! Plus, it was missing the second seat liner. Now, I have two girls, but I didn't want it to be too girly, since all my baby stuff gets passed on to our kids' godparents who are hoping for boys (who would then become my sons-in-law, if Tiffiny has her way), and plus, I didn't want to have to disassemble it and repaint the frame.  So I went to JoAnn's, and found this beautiful fabric:


and I recovered the whole thing.  This meant that my seam ripper became my worst enemy best friend, because I had to use the existing pieces as my pattern to make the new pieces.  I also took lots of step-by-step pictures and took notes to remind myself of any complicated steps.  I was really glad I did, because this was probably the most complicated thing I have ever attempted.  But I am SUPER happy with the end results!

And I'll have you know, I had to reattach the lap belts BY HAND without access to the underside of the fabric! That was by far the suckiest part of the whole thing. And I wasn't going to add the ruffle on the seat liners, but I didn't have enough fabric to make two backs (in fact the one I did make it actually pieced together from three pieces), so I had to use the original solid blue back for one of them.  The ribbon hides this from all but the most snooping of eyes. 

Janeia LOVES it!  She actually will climb in the back seat (Leslie's) and take a nap after I get her a pillow, blanket, Frankie (her fave stuffed animal), and put another blanket over the top to make it dark. And the best part? All in all it only cost me $38! And it's totally custom, which I love!

Ok, well I've done a lot more stuff, but this post is getting kinda long, so it'll have to wait.  But the pics are loaded onto the computer now, so at least that step is done. We'll see how tomorrow goes for getting another post up.

Gotta go, somebody's awake!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    This stroller recover looks soo cute. I am dying to redo my phil and ted. It has some mold and I really need to recover it. However I am kind of a hot mess when it comes to sewing. But, I am dying to try it. Which fabric and thread would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete